The third floor Periodicals Collection has close to 2,800 current print and microform subscriptions and the library has access to over 122,000 electronic journals. The Periodicals Collection is a non-circulating collection.
Locations & Formats
Periodicals in the Library have different locations based on year of publication and format.
- Current: Periodical issues from the last 6 to 12 months are available in print and are arranged alphabetically by title in the "Current Periodicals" shelves next to the 3rd floor periodical Help Desk.
- Bound periodicals dated 1960 and newer are located on the 3rd floor, shelved by call number. Print issues are referred to as "bound" periodicals because they are sent to a bindery and given a hard-bound cover.
- Bound periodicals dated 1959 and older are shelved among books, by call number, on floors 5 through 7.
- Microform: Microfilm and microfiche periodicals are arranged by call number in the Microforms cabinets on the 3rd floor.
- Electronic: Periodicals available in online full-text databases or as electronic journals are accessed through the Periodical List.
Trouble Locating a Periodical?
Interlibrary Loan: If the Alkek Library does *not* own the periodical you need, you may order the article at no charge from Interlibrary Loan. ILL information and online forms are available on the Interlibrary Loan pages.
Recommend a Periodical:
Periodical subscriptions are ongoing year to year, based on faculty authorization and annual review. All academic departments have a Library representative, as shown in the Libray Liaison list.
If you discover that a core periodical is not available, consider requesting it via the appropriate department using the Library's order request system.
Scanners: KIC (Knowledge Imaging Center) Scanner
There are KIC walk-up scanners on the on the 3rd floor next to the Periodicals/Media Desk, 4th floor across from the Computer Lab, and 2nd or main floor of Alkek Library. Scanning is free!
The scanner allows emailing or saving files to a USB drive. You can purchase a USB drive at the Circulation desk. Scans can be made in black and white, grey scale and in color. Documents can be saved in several formats (such as jpg, and pdf). Ask for assistance at the service desk on the 3rd or 4th floor.
Photocopiers: Copy machines are located on floors 2 through 7. Most take either Bobcat Bucks or change (15 cents per page).
Microform copiers: Microfilm or fiche copiers are located only on the 3rd floor. These copiers take dimes only (10 cents per page).
Change: Change can be made at the Circulation Desk.