The following resources are useful for identifying publishing opportunities in a subject area:
JCRs – Journal Citation Reports
This database is the only source of citation data for specialized journals in the fields of science, technology, and social sciences. That data identifies the:
- Highest impact journals
- Most frequently used journals
- Hottest journals
- Largest journals
- Economics, and Finance
- Computer Science
- Educational Curriculum and Methods.
- Educational Psychology and Administration
- Educational Technology and Library Science
- Health Administration
- Psychology and Psychiatry
Cabell’s directories will give information regarding publishing opportunities in scholarly journals. These Directories lists publications by title, exact topics solicited, where to submit your manuscript, submission guidelines, circulation data, type of reviews, number of internal or external reviewers, acceptance rates, author services, etc.
Publishers and Publishing Resources
Handbook for Academic Authors
The publishing partnership -- Journal articles --Revising a dissertation -- Finding a publisher for the scholarly book -- Working with your publisher -- Multi author books and anthologies -- Finding a publisher for the college textbook -- Working with your textbook publisher -- Books for general readers -- The mechanics of authorship – Costs and prices -- Electronic publishing.
The following print directories offer submission and publishing information in small specialized and artistic presses:
- Writer’s Market PN161.W83 latest in ref
- Photographer's Market TR12.P515 latest in ref
- International Directory of Little Magazines and Small Presses Z6944.L5 D5 latest in ref
- Artist’s and Graphic Designers Market N 8600.A76 latest in ref
- Guide to Literary Agents PN163.G84 latest in ref
- Novel and Short Story Writer’s Market PN 3355.F47 latest in ref
- Children’s Writers and Illustrator’s Market PN 147.5 C48 latest in ref
- Poet’s Market PN 1059.M3 P59 latest in ref
- Songwriter’s Market MT 67.#657 latest in ref
Commercial publishing and publishers
- Books in Print [Online]
- Literary Marketplace, LMP PN161 .L5 latest in ref
- Gale Directory of Publications and Broadcast media Z6951 .A97 latest in ref
- Publishers Directory (Gale) Z282 .B66 latest in ref
Book Reviews-Online databases (to submit work or to become a reviewer or find reviews)
- Book Review Digest Plus
- ChoiceReviews Online
- AcqWeb's Directory of Book Reviews on the Web
Acqweb book reviews are listed by type of book or media, including scholarly, interdisciplinary, electronic, children’s, A/V, subject disciplines and/or genre type.
- Midwest Book Review Writer Resources
Copyright information sources-
Association of Research Libraries (ARL)- Know Your Copy Rights - Resources for Teaching Faculty. Covers fair use, the advantage of linking to instead of copying works, and special provisions for displaying or performing works in classes.