University Libraries Covid-19 Updates
For the protection of library staff and patrons, we have limited our hours and access. This page is to provide up-to-date information regarding changes to our operations in response to the COVID-19 epidemic.
Remote Resources and Services
Faculty remote course support
Let's maintain a safe library
What you can do:
- Use online services whenever possible - You can communicate with us by telephone (Our Ask Alkek Desk is now virtual, call us at 512.245.2616, RRC Library 512.716.4700) or through AskaLibrarian online chat.
- Practice social distancing - Individuals with a valid Texas State ID card may access the libraries while carefully following appropriate social distancing. When you come to the library, please leave a six-foot space between you and library patrons and staff.
- Wear masks - Per university guidelines, face coverings are required in all areas of the library unless:
- You are alone in a group or individual study room, a collaboration room, a YouStar Studio or the Comm Lab.
- You are in the 4th floor lounge eating or drinking.
- Wash your hands and help us keep work stations and equipment as sanitary as possible - Hand sanitizer is available near elevators on each floor of the Alkek Library.
- Observe our open door policy - Leave main entrance doors to restrooms and study rooms open to minimize the need for sanitizing doors.
- Flip the card - Once you have used a computer work station, please flip the card to let us know the station needs to be cleaned and made ready for the next user.
- Stay home - If you experience fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, chills, body aches, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of smell or taste, headache, runny nose or fatigue, please do not come to campus.
What we are doing:
- Practicing social distancing - We want to help, but we will be keeping our distance for your protection and ours.
- Requiring ID card access - Only those with a valid university issued ID card can access the library.
- Increasing cleaning and sanitizing efforts - Our staff will be using gloves when handling materials. Equipment and library materials are being quarantined or santizied using a UV sanitizer or both before making them available for reuse. Custodians will be doing daily electrostatic disinfecting of study rooms and wiping of all table tops with disinfectant nightly. Our staff will be doing additional cleaning throughout the day to help keep the library clean and sanitary.
- Reducing room capacities and reconfiguring furniture - Some furniture has been removed or relocated throughout the building and study room capacities have been reduced to promote social distancing. Individuals need to take responsibility to make sure they maintain a distance of six feet between themselves and others.
- Making ourselves virtually available - We can schedule Zoom conference calls for research consultations and are happy to chat with you online when you need help. You can also email your subject librarian for assistance.
Library Questions & Answers
- The due dates for circulating materials originally due between March 1 and August 6 have been extended to August 7. The extension does not apply to any short-term loans, such as reserve items, laptops, calculators or other equipment.
- Log in to your library account to check on due dates for your library materials.
- For any account questions or problems, please contact:
- We will do the best we can to accommodate anyone with extenuating circumstances.
We have temporarily expanded our print scanning service to include all student researchers. If you need a resource that is in Texas State University Libraries' collection, but is not available as an electronic resource, we can scan it and send it to you electronically within three business days. There is a limit of one request per day of no more than 50 page. We cannot scan entire books or journal issues. Use this form to request the material.
Faculty who need us to scan instructional materials from our collection should continue to use the Instructional Materials Scanning form.
Please visit our remote resources guide to learn more about how to access library materials and services.
The Alkek Library computer work stations will be open during library open hours, however, we have significantly reduced the number of available work stations to enforce social distancing and keep our patrons safe. Other campus computer labs are closed through the end of the summer.
- Due to the difficulty in obtaining physical Interlibrary Loan (ILL) items from other libraries during the COVID-19 epidemic, we have decided to temporarily discontinue the borrowing and lending of physical items.
- We will still continue processing article and chapter requests.
- If the physical item you need is available for purchase and it is something the University Libraries should have in our collection, we recommend submitting a purchase request at https://tim.txstate.edu/libraryorders/.
- If possible, please return any ILL items before leaving campus.
- If you need the material longer, you may request an extension in ILLiad a few days before the item is due.
- If you cannot renew your ILL items, please contact Interlibrary Loan staff at email@example.com / 512-245-4893.
- You may also mail the ILL materials back to: Texas State University; Alkek Library / Interlibrary Loan; 250 E. McCarty Lane, San Marcos, TX 78666.
- ILL items can be picked up at the Alkek Library Checkout Desk. Double check library hours on the library web site.
- If you cannot pick up physical Interlibrary Loan materials you requested, please notify Interlibrary Loan staff at firstname.lastname@example.org / 512-245-4893.
As of July 6, all floors and spaces in the library are open. However, some services are being delivered remotely. Patrons coming to the library must practice social distancing and wear a face covering.
As of July 6, the Round Rock Library is open from 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday.
To keep updated on the university's announcements and resources related to the Coronavirus, please visit this website.