Alkek One Student Gallery
The walls of the Alkek One Student Gallery are adorned with Texas State student projects that demonstrate how technology and creativity align in the new Alkek One areas of the library. Seven student projects were selected among entries to the inaugural competition (spring 2021) for art installations to be featured in the gallery. Library staff partnered with the Common Experience team and selected the winners that depicted this year’s campus theme of Dynamics. Dynamics involves the consideration of forces or motion including physical, motiving, moral or historical forces that produce growth, movement or change.
ALKEK ONE STUDENT GALLERY GUIDELINES
- The Spring - Summer 2021 Gallery entry deadline has passed. A fall call for entries will be issued soon.
- Current competition display will be up through the spring and summer 2021 semesters
- Exhibits use technology, creativity and design thinking (for example consider the dynamic relationship represented by creating in analog vs digital such as photography or 3D modeling)
- Topics will change with each call for entry. The current display topic is Women in Technology or People of Color in Technology.
- Multiple proposals are allowed.
- Proposal submissions can include a final piece of artwork, a draft, or even just an idea
- An artist's statement or written description of the idea must be included and should include the thought process for incorporating composition/design; emphasis, color use; contrast; presentation and thematic tie in
- Proposals should include a sketch of the project in the form of a photo or digital file and an optional sample of your work
- Artwork can take the form of any type of medium: photograph, video, animation, graphic, sculpture, 3D printed object, app design, etc.
- The artwork will be displayed either digitally via a wall projector or physically placed in the gallery
- Any costs associated with creating the project using Alkek One equipment will be covered by the library