What's in this space?
The Graduate Commons is a new space in the library that is open only to graduate students. Located in Alkek 310, the space includes a large flexible room that will have lounge and open study areas, two reservable study rooms and a kitchen. There are 25 lockers for graduate students located in the kitchen area of the Graduate Commons. These are available on a first-come, first-served basis and can be reserved for the semester at the 3rd floor Checkout Desk with a valid student ID.
Graduate students can enter the commons by swiping in with their student IDs. If the card swipe does not work for you, someone at the third floor Checkout Desk can assist you in getting into the room and make sure you are added to the list of graduate students with card access.
The Graduate Commons is open whenever the library is open and you are welcome to use the open area and the kitchen area. Please be sure to clean up after yourselves. The library is not responsible for food or other items left in the kitchen refrigerator or on the shelves. Once a month, the refrigerator will be cleaned and any food items inside will be thrown away.
In addition, the Graduate College will periodically hold workshops and events in the 310 open area which graduate students may wish to attend. When the large room is in use, the two study rooms, 310A and 310D will be available for student use, but not for reservations. Please consult the Graduate College Event Calendar for event listings.
Although there are no reservations required to enter the main commons area, there are two study rooms within the space that can be reserved using your Outlook Calendar available through Bobcat Mail. The rooms that will be available for scheduling for one- or two-hour sessions during the library's open hours are Alkek 310A and Alkek 310D. Please do not book the room more than four weeks prior to your reservation date. You may be notified that your reservation has been removed if you schedule the room for dates farther in the future.
The Graduate College will periodically hold workshops in the main Commons room. Please check the Grad College Calendar for their event schedule.
Reserving a study room
- To reserve a study room, access your Outlook calendar through your Bobcat Mailbox.
- Under the home tab, select New Appointment or New Meeting at the top left of your screen.
- Under the Appointment tab, select Scheduling Assistant. Enter the email addresses of the individuals that you wish to invite to your study session in the blanks under All Attendees.
- At the bottom of the screen, select Add Rooms. The two study rooms are ALK310a or ALK310d. Double click on the desired room and click OK at the bottom right of the list page.
- Enter the start and end time for your study session. Make sure that your selected room is available for reserving during the desired time. If there is already a reservation, the box for that time be filled with solid blue. Remember to reserve the room for no more than two hours and no further than four weeks out.
- Under the meeting tab at the top of the page, select Appointment, enter the meeting name in the subject line and then click the send box. Note: You will receive an automated confirmation email from the reserved room. If you receive a declined email notification, you have accidentally booked the room at a time that was reserved by someone else. Please go back into the system and select a different room or time.